Monday, March 29, 2010

GREATER LOVE by Robert Whitlow

Tami Lynn is about to take the Bar Exam and has some really big decisions to make. She has to decide where she will begin her practice of law. There is two offers on the table. One in a firm that Tami worked at last summer and one just getting established with women she's acquainted with. She will also have to decide who will win her heart. Will it be Zach or Vinny? You also meet a young girl name Jessie who is on the run and very soon the paths of Tami and Jessie will intersect. The case is a lot more than what's on the surface and will ultimately cost the life of someone close to Tami.

I liked many aspects of the story. Tami was a sweet, innocent girl who really wanted to do God's will for her life. She was respectful to her parents and those in authority over her. I liked the whole idea of a love triangle between Zach, Tami and Vinny. I also liked Mr. Callahan and thought he gave wise council to Tami. The story did have some suspense and I have to say I really wasn't sure who Tami would choose as her life's mate until near the end.

Now for the things I think just didn't fit. Sister Dabney was a character I did not like. I don't agree that women preachers/prophetesses is Biblically correct. But the part that I really felt was incongruent was the fact that an ultra-conservative girl like Tami, who even out of college is still submissive to her parents, goes to Sister Dabney's church and even follows her "prophet type" advice. It just wasn't realistic to me. I liked Zach and Vinny but never really felt the struggle between them having to do with Tami. They felt like shallow characters to me. I'm being honest when I say that I struggled through this book because of those items but was committed to finish it. I know his books have gotten some good reviews but the story just didn't work for this reader. Thank you Thomas Nelson (Booksneeze) for providing this complimentary review copy.

No comments:

Book I've Been Reading...

Sherry's bookshelf: read

Almost Like Being in Love
Wanted: Royal Princess Miracle Bride: Royal Hearts of Mondoverde Series, Vol. 3
Her Rancher Bodyguard
Traces of Guilt
The Stronghold
Close to You
Protecting Her Daughter
The Goodbye Bride
The Rancher's First Love
Reclaiming His Past
Keeper of the Stars
Cold Shot
Mermaid Moon
Thin Ice
Buried Secrets
Murder at Black Lake
Christmas With Miss Austen
Falling Like Snowflakes
Married 'til Monday
Second Chance Hero


Sherry's favorite books »