Sunday, July 31, 2011

A RIVER TO CROSS by Yvonne Harris




Elizabeth Evans comes to stay with her brother in El Paso to learn the newspaper business. His writings expose the problems and dangers of living along the US and Mexican border. Elizabeth never expected to find herself in a shoot-out and then kidnapped by a corrupt Mexican general. Jake Nelson is a Texas Ranger. He and his men are the law in that area of unrest. When they get wind of Elizabeth's kidnapping they ride out to bring her back. Both are immediately drawn to each other, but Jake knows a Rangers life makes marriage and family almost impossible or does it? and Elizabeth isn't willing to risk heartache once again or is she?.

A River to Cross is an EXCELLENT story and going down as a top favorite of mine. WOW, from beginning to end I could not put the story down. I absolutely loved our lead couple. Jake and Elizabeth were outstanding characters. I fell in love with Jake. He has all the things I love to see in a hero. You really have to read the story to appreciate his character. Elizabeth was spunky, smart and full of grit. A great match for a certain Texas Ranger. I really appreciated the fact that there was a lot of interaction between the two of them. (To me that's what really makes it good.) And boy was it fun to watch. I also loved Jake's men. Seeing how they worked together was amazing. This story had it all, action, suspense and romance but it also had some very good humor. I found myself laughing in several spots. I enjoyed learning about Texas Rangers. How and why they got started along with how they were trained. It was a very interesting and turbulent time. It sounds like some of the things from today's headlines. The beautiful cover of this novel drew me in but the story inside is over-the-top-good! If you enjoy a great historical then don't miss this one. I highly recommend A River to Cross. Great job Yvonne! A thank you goes to the author and publisher for this complimentary copy for my review.

No comments:

Book I've Been Reading...

Sherry's bookshelf: read

Almost Like Being in Love
Wanted: Royal Princess Miracle Bride: Royal Hearts of Mondoverde Series, Vol. 3
Her Rancher Bodyguard
Traces of Guilt
The Stronghold
Close to You
Protecting Her Daughter
The Goodbye Bride
The Rancher's First Love
Reclaiming His Past
Keeper of the Stars
Cold Shot
Mermaid Moon
Thin Ice
Buried Secrets
Murder at Black Lake
Christmas With Miss Austen
Falling Like Snowflakes
Married 'til Monday
Second Chance Hero


Sherry's favorite books »